The Wellington Hotel located right the heart of this historic market town, is one of the oldest buildings in Brecon. The beautiful Georgian façade of the Hotel looks over the town square and the monument of the Duke of Wellington. The statue of Wellington [1769 – 1852] (famous for his ‘boots’ ) was erected in 1856 by Brecon resident Evan Thomas, although as far as we know the 1st Duke of Wellington (Arthur Wellesley) had no connection whatsoever with the town.
In the late 70’s early 80’s the Wellington Hotel hosted Brecon Jazz Club in the ‘Dukes Bar’ and ballroom on the first floor. Following recent refurbishments the Dukes Bar is now know as the “Wellesley Suite”.